Felicia M. Sullivan, Ph.D.
Doctor of Philosophy -University of Massachusetts Boston – Boston, MA – 2014 – Public Policy – Title: Engaging Youth: Linking Design and Implementation Choices of Out-of-School Time Programs in Boston to the Development of Political Engagement Attitudes in Youth Age 14-18, Chair – Dr. Donna Haig Friedman.
Master of Sciences – University of Massachusetts Boston, MA – 2009 – Public Policy with a graduate certificate in Science in a Changing World
Master of Arts – New School for Social Research, New York, NY – 1995 – Media Studies program with a concentration on communication technologies for community development.
Bachelor of Arts (cum laude) – St. Lawrence University, Canton, NY – 1988. Major: Government (Highest Honors) / Minor: African Studies
RESEARCH & TEACHING INTERESTS
- Institutional and organizational design related to political participation and civic engagement
- Youth development and out-of-school-time programming
- Human development and organizational learning in community-based settings
- Self organization and peer learning networks
- Media, communications, and technology for community development, civic engagement and political action
- The social impact of science and technology development
- Turcotte, D.A., Johnson, M. P., Chaves, E.J., Drew, R.B. & Sullivan, F.M. (2015): Reconstructing neighborhoods: two case studies in foreclosed housing acquisition and redevelopment by community development corporations in Massachusetts, Housing and Society, DOI: 10.1080/08882746.2015.1020700
- MacIndoe, H. and Sullivan, F.M. (2014) “Nonprofit Responses to Financial Uncertainty: How Does Financial Vulnerability Shape Nonprofit Collaboration?” Journal of Sustainability and Management, 4(3): 1-15.
- Johnson, M.P., Turcotte, D. and Sullivan, F.M. (2010). “What Foreclosed Homes Should a Municipality Purchase to Stabilize Vulnerable Neighborhoods?” Networks and Spatial Economics 10(3): 363-388.
- Sullivan, F.M. and Littenberg-Tobias, J. (2015). “Evaluation Report: Bloggingheads TV.” Tisch College Report, Medford, MA: Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement, Tufts University. – CIRCLE Fact Sheet, Medford, MA: Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement, – http://activecitizen.tufts.edu/wp-content/uploads/Tisch-College-Bloggingheads-Evaluation.pdf
- Godsay, S. and Sullivan, F.M. (2014). “A National Survey of Civics and U.S. Government Teachers,” CIRCLE Fact Sheet (Medford, MA: Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement, Tufts University). – http://www.civicyouth.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/CIRCLE_FS2014_TeacherSurvey.pdf
- Sullivan, F.M., Conner, N.N., Kawashima-Ginsberg, K., Levine, P. and Lynn, E. (2014). Humanities at the Crossroads: The Indiana Case Study Survey Report. (Medford, MA: CIRCLE at the Jonathan M. Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service, Tufts University)
- Sullivan, F.M. (2013). “New and Alternative Assessments, Digital Badges, and Civics: An Overview of Emerging Themes and Promising Directions” CIRCLE Working Paper #77. (Medford, MA: Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement, Tufts University).
- MacIndoe, H. and Sullivan, F.M. (2010) “Nonprofit Responses to Financial Uncertainty: How Does Financial Vulnerability Shape Nonprofit Collaboration?” Paper presented at the 2010 Fall Conference of the Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management, Boston, MA, November 4-6.
- Sullivan F.M. (2010).”Valuing Youth: Nonprofit Organizations and the Potential for Political Engagement.” Paper presented at 2010 Annual Meeting of the New England Political Science Association. Newport, RI. April 23-24.
- Sullivan F.M. (2010). “Book Review: From the Ground Up.” Newsletter for the Community Research and Development Division of the Society for the Study of Social Problems. Spring.
- Johnson, M.P., Turcotte, D. and Sullivan, F.M. (2009). “Foreclosed Housing Acquisition and Redevelopment using Decision Modeling.” For presentation at Emerging Strategies to Prevent and Address Spillover Effects of Foreclosures and Vacant Property, The Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, The Offices of Community Development and Policy Analysis, March 2010.
- Sullivan, F.M. (2003). “Community Technology & Public Discourse,” Report to the Center for Social Media – http://www.centerforsocialmedia.org – June.
- Sullivan, F. M. (2007). “Free as in Speech: Tools for the Next Revolution,” Community Media Review, 30(1), Spring.
- Sullivan, F.M. (2005). “Everything Old is New Again,” Community Media Review, 28(4), Winter.
- Sullivan, F.M. (2005). “Scouting Talent: Hiring for the Next Generation Community Media Center,” Community Media Review, 28(4), Winter.
- Sullivan, F. M. (2004). “Becoming a Citizen Journalist: The Hope for Community Blogging,” Community Media Review, 27(2), Summer.
- Sullivan, F.M. (1999) “Working Circuits: A report on the 1998 NAMAC Conference.” Afterimage, 26(4) January/February.
- Sullivan, F.M. (1996) “Community Service: A report on the 1996 NAMAC Conference,” Afterimage, 23(6) & 24(1) Summer.
- Sullivan, F.M. (1995) “Media In the Public Interest: 1995 Alliance for Community Media International Conference & Trade Show,” Afterimage, 23(2) September/October.
- Thinking, Learning and Computers (CRCTH 670) – graduate – (online)
- Reflective Practices (CRCRTH 688) – graduate – (in-person and at-a-distance)
- Civic Engagement (PCSCOR 325) – undergraduate – (online)
- Communicating for Change (EXP110) – undergraduate – (online)
- Politics and the Internet (POLSCI 367) – undergraduate – (online)
- Media Literacy (CORCOM 130) – undergraduate – (in-person and online)
- Media and Community Building (CORCOM 220) – undergraduate – (online)
- All Together Now: Collaboration and Innovation for Youth Engagement – practioner seminar (online)
- GIS for Policy Studies – teaching assistant to Dr. Michael Johnson
- (also Community-based media education programs – multiple constituencies)
CONFERENCES, PANELS, PRESENTATIONS (selected)
- Millennials in Civic and Political Life (with Peter Levine), Tufts University Online Seminar, April 29, 2015.
- Civic Education: Hope for the Future, League of Women Voters of Falmouth, April 16, 2015.
- Presenter, “Teaching Civics: Results from a National Survey of Civic Teachers,” 94th NCSS Annual Conference, November 21-22, 2014
- Presenter, “Evaluating the 18 to 30 Vote,” panel at the 2014 Elections Conference: Elections University, Washington State Association County Auditors, Spokane, WA, June 12-14, 2014.
- Co-Designer, “All Together Now: Collaboration and Innovation for Youth Engagement Online Seminar,” January 13 – February 20, 2014. See – http://www.civicyouth.org/tools-for-practice/learning-community/
- Presenter, “Humanities at the Crossroads: Indiana Case Study,” panel at the 2013 National Humanities Conference, Birmingham, AL. November 7-9, 2013.
- Presenter, “Connecting with Civic Learning and Engagement,” webinar for You for Youth, U.S. Department of Education, September 16, 2013. Available at: http://y4y.ed.gov/webinars/connecting-with-civic-learning-and-engagement/
- Organizer, “Schools, Community and Inequality,” panel at 2012 Annual Meeting of the Society for the Study of Social Problems, Denver, CO. August 16-18.
- Presenter, “Open Spaces for Scientific and Social Change II: Support for Translation,” New England Workshop for Science and Social Change,” Woods Hole, MA May 12-15, 2012.
- Co-Presenter, “Policy and Citizen Participation in City Governance in Post-Industrial Cities,” roundtable at 2012 Urban Affairs Association 42nd Annual Meeting. Pittsburgh, PA. April 18-21.
- Discussant and Organizer, “Community Problems and Community Organizations,” panel at 2011 Annual Meeting of the Society for the Study of Social Problems. Las Vegas, NV. August 19-22.
- Presenter, “Valuing Youth: Linking Design and Implementation Choice of Out-of-School Time Programs in Boston to the Development of Political Engagement Attitudes in 13-18 Year Olds.” Paper presented at 2011 Annual Meeting of the Society for the Study of Social Problems. Las Vegas, NV. August 19-22.
- Presenter, “Creating Engagement Creatively: Exploring community arts spaces as sites for civic learning & participation,” Community Arts Symposium, Lesley University, June 26, 2011.
- Presenter, “Collaborative production of knowledge: Health, environment, and publics,” New England Workshop on Science and Social Change in collaboration with BIOSENSE at the University of Coimbre, Arouca, Portugal, May 21-24, 2011.
- Presenter, “Open Spaces for Changing Science and Society,” New England Workshop for Science and Social Change,” Woods Hole, MA May 14-18, 2011.
- Presenter, “speaking multiple messages to multiple audiences in multiple ways,” When the Social (not the Medium) is the Message: A Workshop on Community Building and Research Collaboration in Virtual Spaces, University of Massachusetts Boston, Boston, MA, April 25, 2011.
- “Nonprofit Responses to Financial Vulnerability,” Associations for Public Policy Analysis and Management Conference, Boston, MA, November 4-6, 2010, Co-Presenter.
- “Citizen Participation in City Government,” National Coalition for Dialogue and Deliberation 2010:Â From Polarization to Problem-Solving, University of Massachusetts Boston, Boston, MA, October 29, 2010, Co-facilitator.
- “Politics, Policy and Citizen Participation in City Governance.” Civic Studies, Civic Practices Conference, Tufts University. Medford, MA. July 23-24, 2010, Co-facilitator
- “Public Policy: Liberalism, Accountability, and Social Policy.” 2010 Annual Meeting of the New England Political Science Association. Newport, RI. April 23-24, 2010, Panelist.
- “Envisioning a Just Media Future,” Grassroots Use of Technology Conference, October 17, 2009, Boston, MA, Facilitator.
- “Shall We Write for Free or Shall We Write for Pay?” National Writer’s Union Digital Media Conference, October 16, 2009, Boston, MA., Presenter.
- “The Nonprofit Technology Toolkit,” Lead Haifa and Public Policy Seminar, May 16, 2009, Boston, MA, Presenter
- “Social Networking and Web 2.0 Technologies for NPOs,” NonProfit Alliance of Greater Lowell, May 6, 2009 , Lowell, MA, Presenter.
- “Strategies for Shaping our Media Future: Envisioning Change with the Boston Action Tank,” Be the Media Mini-Conference, Boston, MA, December 3, 2008, Co-Facilitator.
- “21st Century Town Meeting,” Boston Civic Summit, Boston, MA, May 3, 2008, Theme Team Member.
- “Media, Technology & Social Justice: Preparing for and Shaping the Future,” Women, Action and Media Conference, Cambridge, MA, March 29, 2008, Presenter.
- “The Three C’s of Non Profit Tech: Contacts, Communication, Cash,” Pre-Service Orientation CTC Americorps VISTA Project, January 24, 2007, Boston, MA, Presenter.
- “Community Media 2.0,” ACM Northeast Region Conference, November 17, 2006, Brockton, MA, Presenter,
- Youth Pre-Conference Media Workshop, Alliance for Community Media Conference, July 5-9, 2006, Boston, MA, Co-Coordinator.
- “Building Sustainability,” Taking Liberties: NAMAC Conference, Philedelphia, PA – September 28-October 1, 2005, Moderator.
- “eMerging Technologies and Communities,” Alliance for Technology Access Institute, Providence, RI, July 28-29, 2005, Planning Consultant/ Workshop Facilitator.
- “Facility Design: More than Bricks & Mortar,”, Online Salon, National Alliance for Media Arts and Culture, April-May 2005, Moderator.
- “The Role of Community Media in Social Change,” Alliance for Community Media-Northeast Conference, Cambridge, MA â€“ November 2004, Presenter.
- “Engaging Youth with Media for Civic Engagement: A Capacity-building Workshop,” Lowell Telecommunications Corporation, Lowell, MA â€“ October 2004, Facilitator / Organizer.
- “Integrating Media Literacy into Access Training,” Alliance for Community Media Conference, Tampa, FL – July 2004, Presenter.
- “Emergence, Convergence and Empowerment,” Alliance for Community Media Conference, Tampa, FL – July 2004, Presenter.
- “Plenary: Securing Media Democracy in Vermont,” Vermont Media & Democracy Conference, Burlington, VT – June 2004, Presenter.
- 2003 Twin Cities Community Computer Access Network Technology Conference, September 19, 2003, Keynote Address.
- â€œMedia, Technology, and Social Change: Broadening the Base, Building the Movementâ€, Northeast Region of the Alliance for Community Media / College of Public and Community Service at University of Massachusetts â€“ Boston, September 2002, Co-Organizer.
- “Program Evaluation: A Key to Learning, Renewal and Relevance,” NAMAC Conference 2002, Presenter.
- “Teaching Staff: Curriculum Planning for CTCs,” CTCNet Conference, Austin, June 2002, Co-Facilitator.
- “Leadership Development Institute: Strategic Planning Workshop,” CTCNet Conference, Austin, June 2002, Facilitator.
- “Beyond Access: How can IT Access and Education projects open the doors to education, training, jobs, etc” The Digital Age: The New Challenges for Low-Income People, CAAs, and Community-Based Organizations MASSCAP/ADI CONFERENCE, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA, April 2002, Presenter.
- “Digital Access,” NAMAC Conference, Minneapolis, October 2000, Presenter.
- “Arts in Your Center: Tools for Creative Endeavors,” CTCNet Conference, Atlanta, June 2000, Moderator.
- “Bridging the Gap between Arts & Technology,” CTCNet Conference, Chicago, June 1999, Moderator.
- “Building Community Through Technology,” CTCNet Conference, Chicago, June 1999, Moderator.
- Boston Cyberarts Festival, Youth Sub-committee / Faces of Tomorrow website (http://www.cyberface.org), 1998-2000, Project Organizer / Workshop Facilitator.
- “Access and Media Arts Collaborations,” Alliance for Community Media International Conference & Trade Show, Boston 1995, Presenter.
MEDIA WORKS (selected)
- New Voices for Health and the Environment (2007-2008) – Catalog of Ethnic Media in the Merrimack Valley – Co-Investigator
- Sunrise Radio (2006-2008) – Designer / Consultant for podcast site for daily public affairs show at UMass Lowell – http://www.uml.edu/wuml/podcast
- Thinking Out Loud (2006-2007) – Weekly alternative radio news show – Host / Producer.
- ONE Lowell (2006) – organizational website http://www.onelowell.net. Designer / Webmaster.
- Lowell Works (2005) – TV Series highlighting non-profit sector. Producer.
- The Merrimack Valley Hub (2000-2007) – Website http://www.mvhub.com. Designer / Webmaster
- Threats to Local News and Information: The Case of Lowell, Massachusetts (2004) 59:00, http://www.cbcmedia.net/3.2.04.htm
- Living Lowell: An American City (work in progress – creator). Website http://www.livinglowell.com
- 2000days (2000-2005 – creator). Website http://www.2000days.com
- Issue at Hand (2001-2002). Studio Production. Coordinating Producer.
- Faces of Tomorrow (1998-2004 – organizer). Website http://www.cyberfaces.org
- Rites of Spring: Procession to Save our Gardens (1994) 17:44, Hi8 Video
- Life Beside Bars (1993) 14:07, Hi8 Video
- Audubon Ballroom: The Issues (1990) 10:08 Beta
Tufts University – Medford, MA
- Senior Researcher – Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement (CIRCLE – http://www.civicyouth.org), Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life (http://activicitizen.tufts.edu) (Jul 12 – pres).
- Affiliated Faculty – Urban and Environmental Planning Department (http://as.tufts.edu/uep) (Apr 17 – pres.)
University of Massachusetts Boston – Boston, MA
- Associate Lecturer – College of Public and Community Service, College of Education and Human Development, College of Liberal Arts, College of Advancing and Professional Studies (Jan 06 – pres. )
- Assistant Coordinator / Lecturer – College of Education and Human Development, Science in a Changing World, Creative & Critical Thinking Program – (Jan 11-Dec 12)
- Research Assistant to Dr. Heather MacIndoe, Public Policy PhD Program (Sep 09 – Aug 11)
- Research / Teaching Assistant to Dr. Michael Johnson, Public Policy PhD Program (Sep 07 – Aug 09)
- Researcher – Community Media & Technology Program (Nov 02)
- Curriculum Adviser – Core Competencies- Community Media & Technology Program (Mar 02 – Aug 02)
One Lowell – Lowell, MA
- Manager of Operations and Programs (May 09 – Oct 11)
University of Massachusetts- Lowell – Lowell, MA
- Program Manager for New Media – Broadcast & Student Media Office (Jan 06 – Dec 08)
- Coordinator, Media, Information & Technology Program (Jan 06 – May 08)
Organizers’ Collaborative – Boston, MA
- Executive Director (Jan 06 – Mar 08)
Forge Consulting – Lowell, MA
- Media & communications consultant for the mission-driven (Jan 04 – pres)
Lowell Telecommunications Corporation – Lowell, MA
- Director of Community Programming / Community Liaison (Mar 03 – Jan 06)
- Director, Lowell Community Technology Consortium (Mar 00 – Oct 03)
- Director, Computer Resource Center (Mar 97 – Mar 00)
Boston Film – Video Foundation – Boston, MA
- Education Director (Feb 95 – Feb 97)
Partnership for Computer Education – New York, NY
- Co-Director / Co-Founder (Mar 94 – Jan 95)
Social Science Research Council – http://www.ssrc.org – New York, NY
- Project Coordinator / Program Assistant (Apr 89 – Oct 94)
- ARNOVA Membership Committee, April 2015 – Pres.
- ARNOVA Diversity Committee, April 2015 – Pres.
- Lowell Votes, Steering Committee, December 2014-Pres.
- Member, Advisory Board, Ankgor Dance Troupe, April 2014 – Pres.
- Treasurer, Board of Directors, 119 Art Gallery, Jan. 2012 – March 2014, President (Dec. 2004-April 2009);
- Board Member – Lowell Telecommunications Corporation, Jan. 2008-Nov. 2013.
- Treasurer, Board of Directors, Organizers’ Collaborative, March 2008-March 2012.
- Member, Boston Action Tank, February 2008-2010.
- Vice President, Public Policy Forum, Umass Boston, Feb. 2009 – Aug 2009
- Board Member, ONE Lowell Coalition, July 2004-Dec 2007.
- Member, Lowell Cultural Council, December 2002 – Dec 2007.
- Secretary, Board of Directors, Community Technology Center’ Network, June 2001 – June 2004 – co-chair of the Member Services Committee, Member of Executive Director Search Committee
- Member, Steering Committee, CTCNet New England, September 2002-January 2006
- Member, Ayer Lofts Art Gallery, April 2001-July 2005
- Member, Steering Committee Greater Boston Broadband Network / Commonwealth Broadband Collaborative, January 2001 – June 2003
- Member, Nonprofit Alliance of Greater Lowell, February 2000-January 2006 – Chair, Marketing & Communications Committee, November 2001 – January 2003.
- Secretary, Board of Directors, Salem Access Television, Salem, MA, 1996-1998.
- Intern Supervisor – Lesley University – Sep 2010 – May 2013.
- Web Designer, McCormack Graduate School, Sep 2008 – May 2009
- Evaluator, Cambridge Community Television, Youth Media Program, 2007-2008
- Technology Planner, ONE Lowell, developed technology plan for small social justice organization, 2006
- Outreach / Promotions, Community Technology Center’s Network, created an outreach toolkit promoting CTCs and broadband, 2006
- Facilitator, Somerville Community Access Television, Board Retreat, March 2004
- Project Manager / Member, LTC: The Seed of Community Communications: A Strategic Planning Process, Lowell Telecommunications Corporation, Lowell, MA – March 2004-December 2005
- Advisor, Technical / Programmatic Standards for CTCs, TechAtlas (http://www.techatlas.org), November 2002-December 2003
- Curriculum Advisor, Core Competencies, University of Massachusetts – Boston, College for Public and Community Service, Community Media & Technology Program, March 2002- August 2002
- Researcher, Survey of Community Media & Technology Centers, University of Massachusetts – Boston, College for Public and Community Service, Community Media & Technology Program, November 2002.
AWARDS & ACHIEVEMENTS
- NASPAA Dissertation Award – 2014
- Craig R. Bollinger Memorial Research Grant – Spring 2012
- Award for Excellence in Online Course Design – CIT/Educational Technology Conference – 2012
- Lee Student Support Travel Award – Society for the Study of Social Problems – 2011
- Graduate Student Assembly – Travel Award to NewSSC in Woods Hole, MA – 2011
- Graduate Student Assembly – Travel Award to ICA in Montreal, Canada – 2008
- American Evaluation Association – June 2015 to pres.
- American Sociological Association – May 2010 to pres.
- Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management — June 2008 to pres.
- Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action – September 2010 to pres
- Society for the Study of Social Problems – September 2009 to pres.
- Urban Affairs Association – April 2012 to pres.
- Online Learning Collaboration: Blackboard 9.0; Adobe Connect, VoiceThread, wikis; Google collaborative tools
- Graphical Information Systems: ArcViewGIS
- Research Related: STATA, SPSS, NVivo
- Social Network Analysis: Gelphi, NodeXL
- Media: Wide range of media production skills in video (including television), audio (including radio), and web
- Video: Adobe Premiere, Final Cut, iMovie, Movie Maker
- Audio: Adobe Audition, ProTools, Audacity
- Design: Photoshop, InDesign
- Web: Dreamweaver, WordPress, HTML
- Database MySQL, Access, Filemaker