Word cloud courtesy of Letty Mills Barnes
So the various metaphors to replace the digital native / digital immigrant concepts got me thinking, “How do I think of the folks in this MOOC?” Then I started to think, “How do others think about them?” I know what some folks think, but are there more metaphors and adjectives out there?
At the same time, I’ve been working out concepts of sense-making within the context of a MOOC. Then I thought about a tool Peter Taylor in the Critical and Creative Thinking Program at UMass Boston uses a lot in his classes related to brainstorming and sense-making. So I decided to experiment with it for the #EDCMOOC.
So here is the process:
- Figure out a question or bit of information you’d like collective brainstorm on.
- Create an input form using Google Docs – There are lots of online tutorials on how to do this especially this one from Google Help. – My Example
- The form feeds into a Google Spreadsheet like this (image courtesy of Dick Vestdijk):
- If you want others to see the results you can share the spreadsheet by clicking on the share button and making sure that the “Public” option is chosen. You can make the spreadsheet “viewable’ or “editable”. I wanted folks to see what others had entered so they could do what they wanted with it.
- You can also share the results via the editing function of the form. One of the “More Actions” on this form is to “Edit the confirmation” and you can check off “Publish response summary”
- Once these form is created, promote via outlets. I posted to the EDCMOOC Twitter, Facebook, and Google+ communities. I shortened the Google link to the form using Bit.ly.
So the tool is actually quit simple. I think the more challenging part is thinking about the process of bringing the collective ideas and thoughts of so many into some useable form. Letty created the world cloud above, perhaps with a tool like Wordle. I’m going to try to do a conceptual sort to see if certain types of MOOCers appear. UPDATE: My first and second level sort can be found at this Google doc.
So these are my questions:
- What would you do with this information on who are the MOOCers?
- How would you use a system / process like this?